Main Site Content
Job Opportunity: City Clerk - City of Canton
Job Opportunity: City Clerk - City of Canton
The City Clerk's Office provides a vital link between Canton’s municipal government and its citizens. As a "front door" to City government, the City Clerk’s Office upholds the integrity of the legislative process; provides administrative and technical assistance to the Mayor and Board of Aldermen; and provides a positive atmosphere as a public servant to the Community.
The successful candidate must be able to work effectively with elected officials, officers of the city, department heads, representatives of other agencies, other city employees, and the general public, and must be able to communicate effectively, orally, written, and electronically.
The person in this position supervises full-time and/or part-time employees. The City Clerk works most regular business hours; however an ability to attend evening meetings and other Clerk obligations are required.
The City Clerk's Office includes the City Clerk, the Deputy City Clerks, and Accounting. The successful candidate would perform all of the duties of a city clerk, as provided by Mississippi state law, ordinances, and rules and regulations of the City of Canton, Mississippi.
Duties and Responsibilities
The City Clerk prepares financial statements and reports; preparation and management of the city’s budget; maintenance of books and records, including any and all required by law; compliance with Mississippi laws regarding accounting, budget and all known federal laws.
The City Clerk shall give notices of meetings, post and prepare the agenda, attend regular and special meetings, record votes of members of the Mayor and Board of Aldermen, transcribing and keeping minutes of regular and special meetings, and perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Mayor and Board of Aldermen. The City Clerk is responsible for all finance and accounting, purchasing, vendor payments, information systems, debt management, human resources, and investments, participating in planning budgets by compiling past expenditure figures, estimating future costs, and making determinations of budget figures.
The City Clerk is also responsible for the following:
- Conducting municipal elections;
- Certifying and distributing ordinances, resolutions, and codes;
- Ensuring completion of directed actions;
- Keeping a repository of contracts, agreements, and other legislative actions;
- Keeping and maintaining all official documents and records for the City;
- Posting legal notices;
- Providing voter registration information;
- Extensive word processing and data entry;
- Responds to telephone and e-mail requests from the public;
- Assist City employees as need;
- Correspondence with other governmental agencies and staff; and
- Assist in maintaining an awareness of constantly changing laws, rules, and regulations governing all aspects of city administrative and financial operations; including but not limited to, pay, employment, human resources, bonding, budget requirements and other changes by the Mayor and Board of Aldermen; in addition to changes that should be alerted to the Mayor and Board of Aldermen to ensure city operations are carried out in a lawful and efficient manner.
The person in this position must have a valid driver’s license. A Bachelor’s degree in a related field is required. Minimum three years’ experience in related work experience with progressive responsibilities. Must be computer literate and a proficient typist; must possess excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
A certification as a municipal clerk or a master municipal clerk is highly preferred; and an understanding of the principles, functions and operations of municipal government is highly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Read, understand, and apply federal, state, and local laws
- Read, understand, and apply city codes and ordinances
- Proficient in computer skills
- Proficient understanding of Accounting principles
- General functions and operations of municipal government
- Complete paperwork within specified time restraints
- Maintain confidentiality
The City of Canton offers a fringe benefit package, which includes retirement, health, & life insurance, paid holidays, and accrued vacation and sick leave.
Applications will be accepted until 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday, MARCH 4, 2020.
The City of Canton is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Interested Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to:
Canton City Attorney, Kimberly Banks
Via Electronic Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org