Main Site Content
Job Opportunity: City Manager - City of Pascagoula
Job Opportunity: City Manager - City of Pascagoula
POSTING DATE: July10, 2019
CLOSING DATE: September 10, 2019 SALARY: $91,881.22 - $134,329.80
To perform this job successfully, an individual must perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
This position is responsible for the successful overall direction, management, and coordination of all operations and functions of the City of Pascagoula in accordance with all applicable laws, as described in MS Code § 21-9-29, and City of Pascagoula policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Per Mississippi Code § 21-9-29, the following duties are required of the City Manager:
- Responsible to the council for the entire administration of the city government;
- Prepare and recommend to the council an annual budget;
- Administer and secure the enforcement of all laws and ordinances of the city;
- Appoint and remove all department heads and other employees of the city, except that notwithstanding any other provisions of this chapter, the council shall appoint the city attorney, the auditor, and the police justice, if any, and the council may, in its discretion, appoint the city clerk and treasurer;
- Supervise and control all department heads and other employees and their subordinates;
- Negotiate contracts and make all purchases for the city, subject to existing laws and subject to the approval of the council;
- See that all terms and conditions imposed in favor of the city or its inhabitants in any statute or municipal ordinance regarding public utility franchises or other contracts are faithfully kept and performed, and upon knowledge of any violation thereof call the same to the attention of the council;
- Make such recommendations to the council as he may deem expedient or necessary;
- Make reports or recommendations to the council upon request, and at least once a year present a written report of his work and the financial condition of the city for the information of the council and of the public;
- Perform such other duties as may be required by ordinance or resolution of the city council.
Additional duties related to the City Manager will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Prepare the City Council agenda for scheduled meetings, and ensures that appropriate department heads are prepared to address items.
- Provide recommendations to City Council members in regards to agenda items.
- Attend all council meetings and has full privilege of discussion at said meetings but no vote.
- Manage special projects and assignments as directed by the City Council, and provides feedback and status reports as necessary.
- Communicate with the City Council, as appropriate, regarding emergency management situations and high profile issues in the City, and keeps the Council apprised of status of resolution.
- Promote and provide positive public relations for the City, and should be willing to share information with the City Council, the general public and the media.
- Promote and assure productivity, courtesy, and professionalism of all city employees through effective communication with department heads, particularly in their dealings with citizens.
- Manage the performance of department heads by establishing and communicating goals and expectations, holding them accountable and assessing their performance periodically against expectations with constructive feedback.
- Review and recommend changes, additions, or deletions to city ordinances in areas such as planning, zoning, noise, undesirable businesses, etc. in conjunction with the City Attorney and department heads.
- Establish and maintain plans for infrastructure improvements such as streets, drainage, sidewalks, etc., and periodically communicates plans and status of said initiatives to the City Council.
- Promote and assure cleanliness and beautification of the City through the available fiscal resources and in partnership with community interest groups.
- Monitor progress and supports actions relative to the City’s long-range strategic plan, as established and approved by the City Council.
- Promote and assure the continuous improvement of personnel, and reports to the City Council, as appropriate, those personnel issues related to his/hers management within the scope of the daily operations of the City.
- Oversee the Disaster Preparedness and Recovery Plan for the City, and assures incorporation of appropriate lessons learned from previous weather events.
This position directly supervises the Assistant City Manager, City Engineer, Chief of Police, Fire Chief, Community Relations Director, Director of Planning and Building, Human Resources Director, City Clerk, Comptroller, and Parks and Recreation Director, on a daily basis. This position indirectly supervises all other employees of the City of Pascagoula, and may delegate departmental oversight between him/her and the Assistant City Manager as his/her designee.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Per Mississippi Code § 21-9-25, the City Manager shall be chosen based solely on the basis of his/her experience and administrative qualifications. A high school diploma, or its equivalent, is the minimum required by state law. A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Business Administration or Public Administration from an accredited university or college is preferred. Five (5) to seven (7) years of public sector upper management experience or equivalent combination of related education and experience that results in the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is preferred.
Knowledge of the principles and practices of public administration, human resource management, governmental accounting, and public relations are essential. Knowledge of budget preparation and administration, principles of organization and functions of municipal government units, and state and federal laws in all areas applicable to municipal government is essential. Skill in developing and administering short and long-range plans is essential. A valid Mississippi driver’s license is required for employment. Per Mississippi Code § 21-9-25, the City Manager shall not engage in any other business or profession so long as he shall hold office.
LANGUAGE AND REASONING SKILLS:
Ability to understand written or oral instructions; read, analyze and interpret complex documents, instruction manuals, policies and procedures is essential. Excellent communication skills are necessary to effectively present complex information in a one-on-one, small or large group setting. Strong interpersonal skills are essential to maintain effective working relationships with elected officials, agency representatives, civic groups, employees, and members of the general public. The ability to work effectively and efficiently, under very stressful conditions, to ensure deadlines are met is essential. A demonstrated ability to identify and resolve, in a courteous and professional manner, complex issues, while adhering to appropriate policies and procedures, is essential
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Work is largely sedentary; may require periods of sustained sitting and standing.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Work is typically performed in a well-lit and adequately heated and ventilated office environment and requires observance of safe work practices, fire regulations, and avoidance of falls, trips, and similar office work hazards.
- Occasionally, work is performed outdoors when visiting City work sites and projects.
- The stress level for this position is very high and the workload often requires this position to work non-traditional hours to ensure deadlines are met in a timely manner.
- Local, regional, state and national travel may be required to appropriately represent the City’s interests.
Applications may be picked up at City Hall (603 Watts Avenue) or submitted online at http://www.cityofpascagoula.com/Jobs.aspx
City of Pascagoula is an Equal Opportunity Employer