Organization Training in Greenwood - An official MS Main Street Event
Friday, January 31, 2020
9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The Alluvian Hotel
318 Howard Street
As an essential part of the Main Street Approach, Organization involves creating a strong foundation for a sustainable revitalization effort, including cultivating partnerships, community involvement, and resources for the district. Mississippi Main Street’s Organization Training is targeted to Main Street directors, board members, and volunteers, but is also relevant to architects, planners, historic preservationists, government officials, and others interested in the Main Street Approach to downtown revitalization. We hope you will join MMSA in downtown Greenwood as we kick off our first training of 2020!
MML MEMBERS WILL RECEIVE 2 CMO ELECTIVE CREDITS!
Registration & Coffee (Delta Room)
Welcome & Introductions
"How to Build a Better Board and Committees" by Thomas Gregory, MMSA State Coordinator
- When it comes to running a local Main Street organization, few things are more important than getting the right people on your board. This session will focus on the types of people to recruit for board membership and how their responsibilities differ from that of the Main Street director. The session will also explore how Main Street organizations can effectively utilize committees or task teams to get more work done. Each participant will leave with an action plan they can use to begin building a better board.
"Alphabet Soup for Main Street Directors" by Laura Todd, Downtown District Consulting
- Learn the three "M's" and the three "W's" to direct a successful Main Street program. Laura Todd is a former award-winning Main Street director who will show you how to efficiently run the day-to-day activities of a Main Street organization including administrative tasks, financial management, member recruitment, event planning and other office operations. She will also discuss how to identify strengths and weaknesses so you can make the best use of your precious time and resources!
Lunch and "Using Technology to Stay Organized" by Jennifer Prather, MMSA Director of Community Development and Jeannie Zieren, MMSA Director of Communication & Marketing
- We could all use some time-saving tricks! We will talk about using technology to be more productive including Mississippi Main Street's online reporting process, The Point message board, and other web-based tools for managing volunteers, organizing events, communicating, etc.
"Work Plans that Actually Work" by Laura Todd, Downtown District Consulting
- Learn how to develop a "workable" work plan that will guide your Main Street program through the year. It is not enough to just have a plan; it must be something implementable!
Downtown Walking Tour
Hot Chocolate Bar sponsored by Main Street Greenwood at Old City Hall
There is a block of rooms at The Alluvian Hotel for Mississippi Main Street attendees:
- 1/30 - 1/31 - $190 (King room)
- 1/31 - 2/1 - $225 (King room)
Please call 1-866-600-5201 to make your reservation (please let them know you are with the Mississippi Main Street Group for the special rate).
The room block will release on Jan. 1, 2020 so make your reservations now!